Towing a caravan or trailer changes your car’s roadholding and lengthens your stopping distances. Following the recommendations below to tow safely.
Before setting out
- Check the pressure and condition of your tyres (including the one on your spare wheel)
- Make sure loads in the caravan or trailer are evenly spread and firmly attached.
On the motorway
- Do not exceed 100 km/h.
- Comply with local speed limits, especially on downhill slopes.
- Be very careful in windy weather, which can destabilize your vehicle and the caravan or trailer.
- If the car plus caravan or trailer is more than seven metres long overall, drive no closer than 50 m from the vehicle in front.
- On motorway stretches with more than two lanes, only use the two right-most lanes, even for overtaking.